Sunday 1 April 2012

Mama knows best.

Wallis dress 


As I sat in a room more familiar than my own, I once again realized how much my mum has influenced my style. To get to the bare bones of this blog, I must say that without my upbringing I might not have felt the urge to write about fashion. But with every year of my life the passion grew, and that was because of one woman. My mum. It may be a cliché, but I am not someone to hide one when its true.

Today, as a common  ritual between my mum and I, she is showcasing her latest finds. I haven't seen her in a few weeks and her wardrobe holds some real high street gems. The thing with my mum is that she does not dress too young, or too old. She doesn't dress dowdy or as a slave to the trends. She knows her shape and what colours suit her, something which has been invaluable advice growing up as I know which colours drain my complexion. But enough about me, here is the woman that taught me everything I know about fashion:

How do you decide what to buy in the high street? 


I always dress to disguise my shape, trying always to achieve a slimmer line. I wear loose cardigans mixed with longer tops that may balance out some skinny jeans. I also make sure that if I wear a dress it has to be a shift and cut in proportion.

Range of t-shirts from right, Mango, Next, Warehouse, Peruna 


What colours do you wear once you have found the perfect shape? 


I normally choose bright colours, even in the winter, and especially white in the summer as it brightens my face and suits my complexion. As I have green eyes and brown hair I also choose some autumn tones as they always suit me.

Which are your favourite high street shops?


It is always important to discover which shops make clothes that suit you. For example, I always go to Zara for tops, but choose Wallis for trousers. I also normally find my jumpers online, especially on a brand called Wrap, as they do great deals for good quality cashmere knitwear. I would say overall, Zara is my favourite.

What is your inspiration for your style? 


I read lots of magazines to find out what the trends are and which stores are adopting them. I don't like wearing a whole outfit from the same shop so always shop around. You have to mix and match and hunt around, that is what matters.

Do you always wear the trends?

I do like wearing the trends but try and wear them my own way! I used to make my own clothes, but now it is quite difficult to get fabric, so I do think I have quite an individual style because of that.

Handmade tartan jacket by my mum!


What do you think of the idea of wearing 'vintage'? 


I was brought up not to wear other people's clothes, so I don't really like the idea. When I have visited a vintage store it is mostly hand-made stuff anyway, so very expensive for what you are buying.

Finally, describe your style in three words?


Young at heart!

So, as my mum shuts her wardrobe for another day, I know it is my turn. Like mother, like daughter, I had been shopping too.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...